2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups butter or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (more if your family enjoys it)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups sliced peeled apples (Granny Smith are our favorites)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
(NOTE: If you don't enjoy baking from scratch, try using your favorite yellow cake mix with 1 1/2 cups of butter/oil and no water)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and butter.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients and briefly mix with whisk or fingers. Then add to wet ingredients (batter will be very thick). Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan (bundt pan). Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For a glazed appearance, melt a little butter on the top of the cake to make it shiny.
- If desired, drizzle a honey glaze or powdered sugar glaze for more sweetness.
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water or milk (add gradually to mixture)
Drizzle atop cake