Baked Kale Chips
1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
dash of sea salt
dash of garlic powder if desired
ground black pepper if desired
chopped fresh herbs if desired
1. Preheat an oven to 250 degrees.
2. Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Carefully remove the thick stems from the leaves and tear into bite size pieces. (The stems are tough and contain a lot of water).
4. Wash kale pieces and thoroughly dry by patting dry with towels or use a salad spinner.
5. Place about 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil into a zip top baggie, and thoroughly smoosh oil around to line baggie inside.
6. Put dry kale pieces in the baggie, zip it tightly, and shake until all pieces are lightly coated with olive oil.
7. Place kale pieces on parchment paper, taking care to separate pieces and only having a single layer. (more than one layer will prevent the drying process)
8. Sprinkle with seasoning salt, herbs and any other spices or seasonings you enjoy.
9. Bake until the edges are brown but not burnt, 30 to 60 minutes. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Some recipes say to bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. We tried this but felt the chips were lighter and dryer at 250 for a longer period of time.
Kale Chips are great as toppers for soups, pasta dishes, quiche, salad & baked potato, as well as a fun side dish for sandwiches, hot dogs and soups! Crumble on pasta dishes as garnish, or use entire baked leaf and set Macaroni & Cheese on it. Sprinkle with Cajun Seasoning for a delicious change in flavor!