Today we are sharing one of my "soup-a-holic" Dad's hearty, delicious soups. Feel free to substitute fresh ingredients for dried or canned items listed below.
1 carrot, diced 2 cups dried lentils
2 stalks of celery, diced 1 tsp salt
1 large onion, chopped ¾ tsp black pepper
2 cloves crushed garlic ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1# hot Italian Sausage ½ tsp oregano
8 cups of chicken broth ½ tsp thyme
2 cans tomatoes ½ tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Saute until tender.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and add Italian Sausage, removed from the casing. Brown and drain off fat.
- In a large stockpot, place add chicken broth, vegetables and sausage. Open tomatoes, break them up by squeezing them with your hands and add to the soup along with the juice.
- Add the lentils.
- Season with salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, thyme, and fennel seeds.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender…45-60 minutes. Remove 1/3 of the soup and puree it using a blender or hand held mixer, then return to the pot.
- Taste for seasoning…if needed add whatever.