Jack’s Iced Lemon Cookies
- 3 cups unsifted flour (all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (approx 3 lemons)
- Zest 3 lemons
- Saran Wrap
- 1 c confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp water
- Combine flour, baking powder, zest of 3 lemons, sugar and soda into large bowl and mix.
- Melt butter. Squeeze lemons.
- Add butter & lemon juice to dry mixture, placing in mixer until thoroughly blended.
- Divide dough in half. Place each half on sheet of saran wrap, adding another sheet on top. Press gently so that the dough is sandwiched between saran wrap, and is slightly flat (about 8” round).
- Chill dough 1 hour (or longer if more convenient).
- On floured surface, roll half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut cookies out using cookie cutters or biscuit cutter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 9 minutes.
- Mix sugar and lemon juice together.
- Gradually add water until obtaining desired thickness.
- Once cookies have cooled, top with glaze.
- Let set before eating.
Makes 4 dozen cookies cut 2 to 2 1/2 inches