Easy Enchilada Sauce
Compilation of Recipes, some courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Photos from Jack’s Kitchen
Show: The Essence of EmerilEpisode: Quick Mexican Sauces
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1/4 cup chili powder
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 10 ounces tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1
minute. Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin. Stir
to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and
smooth out. Adjust the seasonings. Serve atop your favorite enchiladas.
• Cook Time Approximately 15-30 minutes
• Yields 12 rolled, stuffed cabbage leaves, 12 servings
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 whole chicken, boiled in seasonings and deboned.
• Salt and pepper
• 2 teaspoons cumin powder
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon Mexican Spice Blend
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
• 1 whole green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
• 1 whole red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
• 4 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
• 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
• 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
Boil chicken until cooked completely. Store broth for future recipes. Set chicken aside to cool slightly,
while chopping other vegetables for the recipe, or making a salad to go with meal. Debone and shred
chicken, tossing it with the seasonings. Set aside.
Sauté onion and garlic in chicken drippings until tender. Add corn and chiles. Stir well to combine.
Add canned tomatoes, sauté 1 minute.
Add shredded chicken to sauté pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.
Blanch cabbage leaves. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup chicken mixture in each cabbage leaf. Roll over filling,
place 6-8 stuffed cabbage leaves in each pan with seam side down. Top with enchilada sauce (and
Bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cabbage leaves are hot (and cheese
melts). If desired, garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream, sliced olives and chopped tomatoes before
serving. Serve with Spanish rice and beans, or suitable vegetable and salad.