A big batch of this soup makes future meals convenient. We freeze individual size portions to be used at a convenient time.
Is your family on the run some nights? Need a meal which lasts on the stove for hours in order to accommodate everyone's schedule?
This is a perfect answer to weekly meal planning.
Prep Time: 1 hour (but we recommend soaking the beans overnight)
Cook Time: 2 -4 hours
• 1 pound dried white beans, sorted and rinsed, soaked overnight
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 2 cups water
• 1 smoked ham hock
• 3/4 cup chopped carrots
• 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
• 2 gloves garlic, crushed and chopped
• 2 teaspoons dried parsley
• 1 1/4 teaspoons sage
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
• 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) dried basil
- Cover the beans with 1 inch of water and soak them overnight, or bring them to a rapid boil, cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans. Note: Canned Beans may be substituted if in a hurry. Dry beans are more cost effective.
- Place in large pot with other ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat and allow the soup to cook for 90 minutes to 2 hours, until the beans are tender.
- Cut ham from bone and put meat into soup.
- For creamier soup, place mixture into blender, placing hand on top of blender lid for safety.
- Serve hot.
- This herbed white bean soup makes 8 to 10 servings.